Top 40 Marriage Quotations
Author: Danielle Hollister
Article source: http://www.brainstorming247.com/. Used with author's permission.
Resource Box - © Danielle Hollister (2005) is the Publisher of BellaOnline Quotations Zine - A free newsletter for quote lovers featuring more than 10,000 quotations in dozens of categories like - love, friendship, children, inspiration, success, wisdom, family, life, and many more; plus freebies and links to related resources. All new subscribers get one free ad. Read it - http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8364.asp
- "Is it better for a woman to marry a man who loves her than a man she loves. "
- "All marriages are happy. It's living together afterwards that is difficult. "
- "Getting married is very much like going to a restaurant with friends. You order what you want, then when you see what the other fellow has, you wish you had ordered that."--
- "It's not as great a day for the bride as she thinks. She's not marrying the best man. "
- "Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter. "
- "Many a man owes his success to his first wife and his second wife to his success."--
- "Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a long, intricate, intimate dance together and nothing matters more than your own sense of balance and your choice of partner. "
-- Amy Bloom
- "Marriage has no guarantees. If that's what you're looking for, go live with a car battery."--
- "I married the first man I ever kissed. When I tell this to my children they just about throw up. "
-- Barbara Bush
- "All tragedies are finished by a death, all comedies by a marriage."--
- "If variety is the spice of life, marriage is the big can of leftover Spam. "
-- Johnny Carson
- "If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry. "
- "Marriage is an adventure, like going to war. "
-- G. K. Chesterton
- "The most happy marriage I can imagine to myself would be the union of a deaf man to a blind woman. "
-- S. T. Coleridge
- "I never married because I have three pets at home that answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog that growls every morning, a parrot that swears all afternoon and a cat that comes home late at night. "--
- "I'd marry again if I found a man who had 15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he'd be dead within a year. "
-- Bette Davis
- "Marriage is a lottery in which men stake their liberty and women their happiness. "
-- Madame de Rieux
- "Whatever you may look like, marry a man your own age - as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight."--
- "There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll get married again."--
- "Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invaribly they are both disappointed."--
- "A man's wife has more power over him than the state has."--
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards. "
-- Benjamin Franklin
- "A man is incomplete until he is married. After that, he is finished. "
-- Zsa Zsa Gabor
- "I'm an excellent housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house. "
-- Zsa Zsa Gabor
- "I don't think I'll get married again. I'll just find a woman I don't like and give her a house. "
-- Lewis Grizzard
- "If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married. "
-- Katharine Hepburn
- "Marrying a man is like buying something you've been admiring for a long time in a shop window. You may love it when you get it home, but it doesn't always go with everything else in the house. "
-- Jean Kerr
- "I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. "
-- Groucho Marx
- "Politics doesn't make strange bedfellows, marriage does. "
-- Groucho Marx
- "Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe. "
-- Jackie Mason
- "Marriage is three parts love and seven parts forgiveness of sins. "
-- Langdon Mitchell
- "A good marriage is at least 80 percent good luck in finding the right person at the right time. The rest is trust. "
-- Nanette Newman
- "When marrying, one should ask oneself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this woman into your old age? "
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Before marriage, a man will lie awake all night thinking about something you said; after marriage, he'll fall asleep before you finish saying it. "
-- Helen Roland
- "By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."--
- "Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry. "
-- Gloria Steinem
- "I've yet to be on a campus where most women weren't worrying about some aspect of combining marriage, children, and a career. I've yet to find one where many men were worrying about the same thing. "
-- Gloria Steinem
- "Loves seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century. "
-- Mark Twain
- "Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution. "
-- Mae West
- "Men marry because they are tired; women because they are curious. Both are disappointed."
-- Oscar Wilde
Return to Home Page